Brief History: Barili.Cebu.Philippines
Main
Facts
Historical Facts
Location

Brief History
Clean and Green
General

Urban Space Cleaning
Pictures
Fiestas

Lifestyle:
Cockpits
Beaches
Resorts
Higala Club


Projects:

Contact us!
Mail us
Guestbook
About us

 

 

 

Records in the Cebu Archdiocesan Chancery show that the parish of Barili was established in 1614. It gradually evolved into a town, now the Municipality of Barili.

In those days, as history provides, Barili was one of the most coveted towns in the island because of its fertile soil where excellent tobacco thrived.

During that time, a town was run by an encomendiero / a person responsible for the protection and welfare of the town. In 1632, Doņa Catalina Jiminez, the encomendiera died. When word about her death reached Captain Juan Fernandez de Leon, a Manila resident, he files a petition to become Barili’s next encomendiero. And on November 5, 1633, his petition was granted.

In 1898, the Americans defeated the Spaniards in the Battle of Manila Bay and 400 years of Spanish rule ended. Under the new regime, primary education became universal and every Barili child was obliged to go to school.

On December 8, 1941, Pearl Harbor was bombed and World War II broke out. In Barili, the Japanese Imperial Forces landed in Japitan on April 10, 1942. They established their barracks at Barili Central School.

After three years of Japanese occupation was restored and independence came to Barili on July 4, 1946.