Historical Facts Barili.Cebu.Philippines
Main
Facts
Historical Facts
Location

Brief History
Clean and Green
General

Urban Space Cleaning
Pictures
Fiestas

Lifestyle:
Cockpits
Beaches
Resorts
Higala Club


Projects:

Contact us!
Mail us
Guestbook
About us

 

 

How Barili got its name used to be a legend. The legend, however, became the official story of the naming of the town, when in 1908, its municipal council passed an unnumbered resolution adopting the vignette as the true account. The tale goes:

Centuries ago, there was (and still is) a plateau in the middle of a swamp. A couple built their hut on this place and in fact, their daughter, Inday Balili, was born there. A big tree grew nearby with a vine locally known as loy-a loy-a or balili intertwining on its trunk.

During those times, Spaniards would go around the province to acquaint themselves with the native settlements. One group came to this particular spot and chanced upon the couple. One asked for the name of the place. Thinking that the official who was toying with the leaves of the vine was asking for its name, the two immediately answered Balili. The word was listed down as the name of the locality.

Since Balili was hard on the Castilian tongue, it was pronounced as Barili by them.

Barili has a higher status than other municipalities during the Spanish regime. It was established as a parish and the sub-capital of the province. To it belonged the towns of Bantayan, Madridejos, Santa Fe to the north and Santander to the south. It had a Court of First Instance, a Register of Deeds, a fiscal Promoter, an Administrator (now Provincial Treasurer, and Interventor (now Provincial Auditor), and other high positioned government officials.

The first Cebuano and Filipino Bishop Juan de Gorordo was from Barili.

 

Pictures coming soon